Welcome back and happy Memorial Day! I hope everyone’s been having a relaxing weekend and enjoying some time off. I’m definitely excited that the weather is getting nicer, and I’m really starting to enjoy my quarantine routine.
This week I wanted to talk about some of my favorites at the moments – books, movies, food, and more. I’ve been trying so many new things with all of the free time I have now, and while I’ve been loving it, I’m starting to run out of ideas! So, I wanted to share with you all my favorites of quarantine in case you’re also in need of some new inspiration.
TV and Movies
- Outer Banks – I know everyone has been watching this show on Netflix, but I had to include it. This was super quick to get through and while I didn’t expect to like it at first, I was completely wrong!
- Big Little Lies – I’m definitely late to this trend, but I’m about halfway through Season 2 now and I love this show. It’s definitely heavier and I can only really watch one episode at a time, but it’s so intriguing!
- Ozark – Another great Netflix show! This isn’t the type of show I usually watch, but something good to mix it up. Also much more dense than other light hearted shows, so keep that in mind.
- Life of the Party – I watched this movie with my mom a couple of weeks ago, and it was SO funny, we both loved it! Great for a lighthearted movie after dinner.
- Little Fires Everywhere – I’d been meaning to read this so that I can watch the Hulu series next, and I just finished last week. This book was SO good, and I got through it pretty quickly because of all of the suspense! I would definitely recommend reading this if you’ve watched the show, or are planning to do so.
- The Couple Next Door – I’m about halfway done with this book now, and it’s another great, suspenseful story. If you’re into mystery or crime novels, this is a good choice.
- The Defining Decade – When I need a break from my other fiction-based stories, I’ve been reading a chapter or two of this book. I would highly suggest anyone in their twenties read this, it has so many amazing lessons for young adults and it so motivational!
Food and Drink
- Summer salads – Now that it’s summery weather, I’ve been obsessed with a few different salads. My favorites are Greek, quinoa and orzo based salads, and light arugula salads with different fruits and nuts! Feta is always a topping 🙂
- Summer cocktails – I talked about a few of these in my recipe post, but I’ve been trying out a few new ones recently. My favorites are Aperol Spritzs, sangria, rose spritzers, and different frozen fruit drinks.
- Ice cream – Another summer necessity! I’ve been going to Dairy Queen and White Mountain Creamery more often now that it’s getting hot out, and I’ve also been picking up lots more of Ben and Jerry’s dairy free pints…SO good!
- Coffee – I’ve been experimenting with my regular coffee orders now that I have so much time, so while I usually start my day with a MaryLou’s hazelnut iced coffee (I buy the ground coffee and make it at home), I’ll almost always end up treating myself to either a whipped latte at home, or a Dunkin Donuts caramel iced coffee in the afternoon.
- Laying outside – This sounds simple enough, but I’ve actually been enjoying spending a lot more time than usual in my backyard. Especially when it’s warm out, I’ve found it so peaceful and relaxing to just lay in the sun and listen to music, podcasts, or read.
- Walking – I’ve mentioned this in previous posts, but with all the time I have during the day now, walking has become one of my favorite ways to exercise. It’s also been so great to keep my mood lifted and to stay motivated. I’ll play a 45-75 minute podcast, and just walk until it’s over!
- Spinning – I finally got access to a spin bike, and this has been AMAZING for both my physical and mental health! I missed spinning so much, as I went from teaching and taking 4-5 classes per week, to none at all, so I’ve been trying to get on the bike as much as possible lately.
- Online learning – I’m now starting to take different online classes and watch more tutorials on some interests I’ve gained recently, which has been a great way to spend my time and stay mentally motivated and engaged. These range from 15 minute YouTube videos to week long online courses or programs, so you can spend as much or as little time on this as you like!
- Podcasts – I talk about podcasts a lot, but I wanted to mention specifically my favorites right now. I listen regularly to The Skinny Confidential podcast, Gals on the Go, Girls Gotta Eat, and The Office Ladies, among a few others!
- Eucalyptus products – Specifically, I use a eucalyptus body wash at the end of my showers, and I’ll just put a drop in my hands and breathe in the scent to calm down and reset my mind. Any calming scents or oils are great to boost and focus your energy.
- My new favorite sweatshirt – This is the cropped, grey Champion hoodie from Urban Outfitters, and I’m obsessed. It is so comfy, the perfect crop length, and the hood is so big and cozy (exactly how I like sweatshirts!). I recommend sizing up so that it’s extra cozy, I like my sweatshirts to be more oversized.
This list is definitely on the longer side, but I wanted to make sure I included everything I’ve been loving while in quarantine (which is a lot!). I hope this can give you some ideas if you’re stuck on old content, activities, or recipes, and if you have any other recommendations that I left out, I’d love to hear them below! As always, stay safe and healthy, and I’ll be back next week 🙂